Polish version
Drukuj

90th Anniversary of the Industrial Chemistry Research Institute

ICHP - Mieczysław Kasprzak

The Industrial Chemistry Research Institute in Warsaw, a successor of the Chemical Research Institute, is the oldest chemical institute in Poland. Among various functions it is also a publisher of the monthly scientific journal „Polimery”. On May 23th and 24th 2012 there were celebrations of the 90th Anniversary of the Institute. They took place under the honorary auspices of the Deputy Prime Minister and Economy Minister Waldemar Pawlak and also Minister of Science and Higher Education Prof. Barbara Kudrycka.



Mieczysław Kasprzak, Deputy Economy Minister

The ceremonies started with laying flowers on the symbolic tomb of the Patron of the Institute Prof. Ignacy Mościcki at the Powązki Cemetery in Warsaw. Prof. Mościcki is known for his initiative of creation of the Institute, also for an inexpensive method of producing nitric acid. From 1926 to 1939 Ignacy Mościcki was the President of Poland.

The main celebration, with participation of 260 persons, took place in the Great Assembly Hall of the Royal Castle in Warsaw. Among the invited guests were Chairman of the Council of the Research Institutes Prof. Leszek Rafalski, Chairwoman of the Polish Association of Engineering Associations (NOT) Ewa Mańkiewicz-Cudny, Chairwoman of the Polish Patent Office Alicja Adamczak, Chairman of the Polish Chamber of Chemical Industry Wojciech Lubiewa-Wieleżyński, Chairman of the Association of Engineers and Technicians of Chemical Industry Prof. Jacek Kijeński, Vice President of the Polish Academy of Sciences Prof. Marek Chmielewski and Chairman of the Chemistry Committee of the Academy Prof. Janusz Lipkowski. Needless to say, Institute employees were present along with representatives of industrial companies cooperating with the Institute. The celebration was led by Editor Krzysztof Michalski (Polish Radio).

ICHP - goscie
The director of the Institute Mr. Józef Menes greeted the guests and delivered an opening address „History, achievements and perspectives of the Industrial Chemistry Institute”. Then a congratulatory letter by President of Poland Bronisław Komorowski was read by the presidential advisor Henryk Wujec -- who also conferred national decorations on a number of employees of the Institute.

Then speeches were delivered by Deputy Economy Minister Mieczysław Kasprzak, Under-Secretary of State in the Ministry of Science and Higher Education Prof. Jacek Guliński and by Prof. Leszek Rafalski.




ICHP - medal ŚwiętosławskiegoProf. Jacek Kijeński handed to the Institute Director Józef Menes the medal of Prof. Wojciech Świętosławski for his personal contribution to the development of Polish chemistry. Prof. Wojciech Świętosławski was associated with the Institute since 1925 until his death in 1968; he created modern thermochemistry, comparative calorimetry, and also the contemporary science of separation and purification of materials on the basis of phase equilibria. In the name of the Chairman of Polish Chemical Society Prof. Maciej Jarosz handed to Director Menes a medal of Maria Skłodowska-Curie in recognition of reinforcement of the positive image of Chemistry by the Institute.



ICHP - medal Marii Curie



Participants of the celebration watched a film featuring the history and achievements of the Institute entitled „From an Idea to the Industry. 90 Years of Industrial Chemistry Institute” (Editor Wiktor Niedzicki). The participants also heard a concert by the University of Warsaw Academic Choir conducted by Irina Bogdanovich.

The second day of celebrations started with festive unveiling with an honorable military escort of a commemorative plaque devoted to Professor Ignacy Mościcki on the first building of the Institute erected in1926. The unveiling was performed by Director Menes, Mayor of Warsaw-Żoliborz Krzysztof Bugla and a representative of the Mayor of Warsaw Mrs. Joanna Gospodarczyk.


70 persons attended a festive session of the Scientific Council of the Institute at the Old Chamber of the Institute Library, where long-term employees of the Institute were honored with congratulatory letters and medals embossed to commemorate the Jubilee.

Professor Andrzej Czerwiński, chairman of the Institute Scientific Council delivered a report „Influence of discoveries by Maria Skłodowska-Curie on the development of natural sciences”.

The last event of the celebrations to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the Institute was a picnic organized on the Institute premises for current and retired employees.

Barbara Witowska-Mocek

Editorial Office of „Polimery”




(Photo: Zbigniew Kowalski)



All news...


90th Anniversary

Powązki Cementary in Warsaw
Powązki Cementary in Warsaw
The ceremonies started with laying flowers on the symbolic tomb of the Patron of the Institute Prof. Ignacy Mościcki at the Powązki Cemetery in Warsaw
Promotional board
Promotional board
Royal Castle in Warsaw
Royal Castle in Warsaw
The main celebration, with participation of 260 persons, took place in the Great Assembly Hall of the Royal Castle in Warsaw
The memorial book
The memorial book
The memorial book
In the Royal Castle
In the Royal Castle
Henryk Wujec, Józef Menes and prof. Jacek Cybulski
Director of the ICRI Józef Menes
Director of the ICRI Józef Menes
Director of the ICRI Józef Menes
Invited Guest in the Royal Castle in Warsaw
Invited Guest in the Royal Castle in Warsaw
Invited Guest in the Royal Castle in Warsaw
Employees of ICRI
Employees of ICRI
The Employees of ICRI were awarded the Medal for merit
The commemorative plaque devoted to Professor Ignacy Mościcki
The commemorative plaque devoted to Professor Ignacy Mościcki
Honorable military escort of a commemorative plaque devoted to Professor Ignacy Mościcki on the first building of the Institute erected in 1926
Commemorative plaque devoted to Professor Ignacy Mościcki
Commemorative plaque devoted to Professor Ignacy Mościcki
Commemorative plaque devoted to Professor Ignacy Mościcki