Functional soft materials, chemical antibacterial products on a base of ionic liquids or natural sources
- Synthesis of pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical intermediates in the group of antibiotics and anticancerogenic drugs.
The technology has been developed to obtain (2R,3S)-3-phenylisoserine hydrochloride - an amino acid, which is a main semi product in the synthesis of anticancer drug - Paclitaxel. The technology of synthesis of trans-4-cyclohexylo-S-proline has been developed in laboratory scale. Trans-4-cyclohexylo-S-proline is an amino acid, which is main intermediate product in the synthesis of antihypertensive drug - Fozinopril.
Developing methods and operating conditions for synthesizing new derivatives of 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) and studying their application in photodynamic antitumor therapy.
- Development of methods for isolating of biological-functionalized substances from natural sources.
Extract of waste hops
Extracts of flavonoids from herbs, vegetables or plants are of increasing interest in the food and pharmacy industry. Hops-cones containes many chemical compounds (with antimicrobial activity) having therapeutic properties. Xantohumol reveals bioactivity and anticancerogenic activity, hinder metabolism of prokarcynogenes, activates enzymes, which hamper the increases of cancer cells in an early process of progress. Furthermore, ownes antioxidant properties strongest than alfa-tocoferol in oxidation of lipids.
Extract form tinny-flowers pussy willow
Extract from herb tinny-flowers pussy willow exhibit citotoxic activity against BPH-Benign prostatic hyperplasia cancer (lat. hyperplasia prostatae).
- Development of methods of extraction of aroma-compounds and pigments for food and cosmetic industry using ionic liquids.
- Development of methods of extraction of quercetin from natural sources and red onion.
Quercetin has been found to inhibit xanthenes oxidize activity, resulting in a decreasein oxidative injury. Quercetin reveals strong antimicrobial activity and the sulfonic Morin derivative of quercetin have shown detoxification activity against mercury, cadmium and lead in rats. Quercetin has influence on hamper the increases of cancer cells. American Cancer Society informed that quercetin is actually in clinical developments. Quercetin may be used as antivirus compound via inhibition of reciprocal transcriptase.
Extraction of quercetin was provided from many natural plants, herbs and flowers, such as Green and Black tea, dried lovage, red onion and others to select the optimal source. The thermophisical properties of quercetin (DSC) and solubility in alcohols, estersand chosen ionic liquid was developed. The large solubility of quercetin inionic liquids was fund and further extraction process was provided using ionic liquids. The extraction of quercetin was provided with ionic liquids soluble in water and insoluble in water. Our developments show increases selectivity of extraction of quercetin from frozen red onion using ionic liquids. Ionic liquids have received a lot of interest recently as the new solvents for extraction processes as well as the reaction media because of the unusual properties of ILs such as a high thermal stability, non-volatility, non-flammability and high solvation properties. Additionally, the designability of ILs makes them attractive alternatives to the popular, conventional organic solvents. The continuation of our measurements will be provided with new, synthesized ionic liquids soluble in water. The selctivity of extraction will be detected from extraction from rare red onion.
- Determination and identification of substances using HPLC methods,
- Separation and purification of components from natural raw materials,
- Esterification of low molecular weight mono- and dicarboxylic acids,
- Reaction of organic anions using phase transfer catalysis (PTC),
- Synthesis of secondary alcohols used as components of food-grade flavorings and aromas in food industry,
- Kinetic studies on chemical reactions, determination of the reaction rate constants, reaction order and energy of activation,
- Scale-up procedures from laboratory scale to quarter technical or semi-technical scale.
Dr. Anna Wiśniewska, Chem. Eng.
tel. +48 22 568 21 93
Dr. Zbigniew Dąbrowski, Chem. Eng.
tel. +48 22 568 20 36